Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Take a Hike Thursday

Jen thought I was getting bored at her house so insisted on dropping me off to take a hike at Mount Sanita's on Thursday.  The weather was going to be cooler than on Friday... but it was also foggy so the views weren't as great as they could have been.
 The hike started off pretty easy as you can see looking back at the trail that I'd already covered.  I was enjoying this type of hiking so far.  Before you go thinking Jen is a total meanie she would NOT have let me go hiking alone if it wasn't a very well traveled trail.  I am not kidding when I say that I was always within earshot of someone else on the trail (like if I shouted for help) and if I was confused about the trail I could stop for photos and then as the person passed me would be able to see where I was supposed to go.
 Really, the hike was nice until it got closer to the top where it just freaked me out a little bit.  I didn't have on "hiking" shoes but my road racing trainers (no grips on the soles) so this was intimidating.  I did it anyways and was taking my sweet time.
On the way down I was able to get some different views as well.  Although it was foggy you could see that it would be really beautiful on a clear day.  And there were a ton of people hiking with their dogs as well.  Jen told me people hike/run Sanitas before work since it is "easy."
 So it was scary for just a little bit but fortunately on the way down it was like steps built in on the trail or I'd have panicked a little due to my shoes and risk of slipping.  The stairs were steep in spots but overall not bad.
 From one small trail off to the side (a whole whopping 10 feet) I spotted this little hiking area across the street and braved it as well.  It just hiked up to the rock formation and was a wide trail (as you can see from the pic) and took about 20 min round trip.
 On my way to the rock formation... see wild poppy's and these birds were in quite a few places.  Jen let me borrow her giant fanny pack (whoo-hoo fashion) and I carried two bottles of water and some granola plus my camera and cell phone with me.
By the rock formation and then after she picked me up and took me to her office to shower (people bike to work).  After a quick office visit she dumped me at a shopping plaza with directions for somewhat aimless wandering until she got out of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment