Thursday, September 5, 2013

Washington, D.C.

A few weekends ago Luke and I headed to DC for a long weekend.  We were very lucky in that the weather was not stifling hot and humid until after we left.  It was a bit warm but not anywhere close to what the typical weather is for this time of year.  We had upper 70's/low 80's and fairly low humidity so it wasn't bad at all.
 We left on Thursday night and stopped in PA for the night.  Finding a hotel was not super easy since the little league championships were happening.  Typical Luke fashion we were lucky and found a place with our second stop... the best part was there were no ridiculous children running around at the breakfast running into me and spilling juice, so I was happy.
 When we arrived in DC we checked into our hotel (hooray for a block away from the White House) and headed out to do some sight seeing.  Of course we stopped at the Air and Space museum.  I kindly pointed out that all the females were sitting on benches along the walls while men were checking out the displays and such.  After about 30 minutes Luke decided he'd had enough and we left (we had visited previously when Jen lived in the area).
 Of course I could wander around walking for hours but I also knew we had another day.  We did visit the American History Museum as well that day and saw the Star Spangled Banner (it was football field huge) and you could not photograph it.  The museum also had the ruby slippers Dorothy wore along with Kermit the frog among other items.
 The next morning I let Luke sleep in while I went for a run along the mall.  This was by far my favorite part of the trip.  There was virtually no one else out (except those other crazy runner folk) and I was able to get some amazing photos.  On my way to the Lincoln Memorial (above) I saw two soldier in their gear on a training run.  They were the only ones out on the tree lined path along the reflecting pool.  I wish I'd gotten a photo.  At the Lincoln Memorial were a bunch of motorcycle police just getting ready to leave.  Very cool.
 Love the fact that there are not people all over in my photos and if you would believe it this was at about 7:15am.  The Smithsonian Museums don't open 'til 10 so it doesn't start to pick up traffic until 9ish.
 Seriously cool being able to see the buildings in the morning sunlight and cool temperatures.  As my run progressed I ran into a bunch of training groups running loops to prep for the Marine Corp. Marathon.
 Smithsonian Castle (where you go for info about the other museums and maps...).  If you want a photo of you with the White House in the background and without strangers near you go in the AM.  These are just two security people chatting it up.  Both sides of the White House were empty of tourists FYI.
 After my AM run and breakfast at the hotel (continental) we headed to the transportation system to check out the National Zoo.  Best thing ever was this sewer that had duct tape and cardboard that said Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Apply Within.  It was still there that night when we returned from our happy hour cruise.
 After the zoo we went to the Natural History Museum... sparkly bling and the Hope Diamond.
 Followed by the old post office tower for views of the city.
 Totally not a crowded place at all and basically never a line.  Free and you get great views just like you would from the Washington Monument (if it wasn't closed due to an earthquake). Plus you don't need a ticket with a special time to visit.

 And of course our happy hour cruise that I found on Groupon.  It was fun but we thought it would be more like sunset instead of dark.  It departed late so that is part of the problem.  We still had fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment