Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Weekend Getaway

Over the weekend Luke and I headed to Albany to meet up with my best friend Miss D (Dani) and her husband Greg plus their almost 9 month old Michael.  Luke and I arrived at the hotel early Friday night and they would arrive much later so we'd meet up for an early breakfast and head out for our Saturday adventure.
 Dani had asked me if I'd be interested in doing the Spartan race.  I didn't hesitate and said yes thinking it would be like some of the other races I've seen advertised with just lots of mud.  I should have read up on the race before making the decision.  The boys dumped us off at Killington Ski Resort in Vermont and had their own adventure for the day.  Photos in this post are what the boys did. When I get the photos from our race I'll do a re-cap of that.
 The boys went to a pancake breakfast at a nearby local restaurant.  Apparently they went to pay and there was no one there with a note to call a guy.  They called the number and the guy said to leave some $ on the table and have a great day.
 All around town were these hay sculptures.  The boys liked the abominable snowman from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
 After their breakfast they went to a local gift shop and took turns going in since Michael was sleeping in the car.  Greg bought Dani and I matching coffee mugs.  Mine is a blue green color and Dani's is purple.  They are really cool with a "nook" for your hand to hold the cup instead of a handle.  Hand crafted pottery.
 Shopping completed they spent the rest of their time hanging out at a place called Liquid Art.  It was basically a coffee house/bar combo with lots of art on the walls.  They just waited there and drank until Dani and I called to let them know we were not dead from our "race."
 Why would we be dead?  These are just the start of some bruises beginning to show on my knees and some scrapes acquired from the adventure race.  It was supposedly just over 4 miles and it took us about 2 1/2 hours so that should give you some indication of the difficulty.
 Photos of us racing will be available later this week or early next week according to the site.  There was no way I could have had my camera survive the course.  Despite the difficulty we are already in talks of getting together for the longer version of the Spartan Sprint called the Super Spartan (8+ miles of obstacles and such nonsense).

1 comment:

  1. You is crazy. Glad you had fun and got to meet up with Dani.

    ReplyDelete