Thursday, September 18, 2014

Indiana Sand Dunes

I insisted on dragging Manfriend over to the Bean before breakfast and leaving Chicago.  I figured we could find a place to eat on the way but no dice.  And we had to wait for the restaurant at our hotel to open for breakfast.  We had to wait til almost 9 for a breakfast place to open.  Bummer on that.  
 We got on the road after breakfast and I made sure to get a picture of the Mc Donald's  in the median of the Chicago Skyway.  Basically you pull over into a parking spot and get some food to go.  You can see the cars on the other side of the road too.  Crazy.
 I insisted that we stop at the Indiana Sand Dunes on the way home.  It is a National Park and was only going to be about 20 minutes out of our way (40 round trip) and I figured, why not.  It was beautiful and was what you would expect if you were at an ocean beach except it was on a Great Lake.
 Of course I had to climb the one Dune that we saw.  There were also lots of trails and stuff around the area to explore as well but I just climbed the dune.
 We got kind of to the top and Manfriend said, "I'm just gonna sit on this grass here and wait for you."  He was tuckered out.  I will say that I think I had better footing barefoot than he did with shoes.
 The view from the top was pretty and it was like a postcard.

 We spent about 30 minutes at the beach.  I put my feet in the water and man was it frigid.  That probably explains the lack of people at the free beach swimming.
 Driving into and out of the park/beach was a nicely tree lined road and parts of it had nice sidewalk/trails for running.  Yes, I pay attention to these sorts of things.
 Our last photo from the road was of the RV/Camper Museum/Hall of Fame type place.  So bummed we didn't stop (not really but I bet it is actually interesting to find out more of the history of how they came to be so popular).  We had a fun and hectic 2 1/2 days and then went up to the cottage for 2 1/2 days of relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment