Monday, August 11, 2014

house maintenance painting and concrete patches

I painted the exterior trim around the front door, garage door and sliding glass door after we moved in.  All of the trim is holding up well for the most part except the sliding glass door trim that bakes in sun a good chunk of the day.  This photo is after I did some scraping (where most of the paint just flaked off).  Most of the paint was already off in all fairness.  
 Almost all of the paint flaked off the top of the trim.  Only a little from the kick board of the door along the concrete came off.
 And then I dug out the exterior paint that we had used.  I could not get the can to open.  I used a screwdriver and nothing.  I tried to get a hammer claw end under the part of the lid I could and nada!  I ended up using a pair of pliers and prying the can open.  It took me about 10 minutes to get the can open.  I called it good enough and dipped the brush.
 I did one coat in the morning and a second in the afternoon.  I followed up with a 3rd coat the next morning and now it is back to looking the way that it should.  I am hoping that it will be much longer lasting than before since the temps were in the low 70's this time.
I also had my Papa Bear teach me how to do a concrete patch.  He showed me on our front walkway step how to mix and then patch concrete.  Our back patio step was starting to crack and break so I tackled that by myself now that I knew how.  It wasn't very hard but you had to be kind of quick so the concrete wouldn't dry (it was quick set).  I was careful to wash the tools as soon as I finished up so they would stay nice.  I am pleased with how it came out considering this was my first attempt.
new concrete under the top step where there was a huge gap/crack.  

1 comment: