Tuesday, December 24, 2013

It's a Disney Christmas

After our Cruise we took a few days to check out Disney for the Holidays.  Love!  I was a little disappointed since I figured there would be more decorations but it was still amazing.  I was expecting more since I've seen decorations at various stages when at Disney for the races in January.  Still amazing though.  We stayed at the Pop Century resort.  Apparently so did a bunch of Pop Warner Cheerleaders and Football Players.  They were rowdy by the pool the one night at 11pm and I was trying to sleep so I could get up early for my long run the next day and then hit up the park early.
 After we checked in we headed over to the Grand Floridian to see the life size gingerbread house display.  It did not disappoint.  Entering the lobby doors you could smell gingerbread.
 The details on the house were amazing and were made of confections.  The flowers were "edible" materials, not silk ones glued on.
 There was even smoke that they had coming out of the chimney.  I treated myself to a "shingle" at the bakery window (they sell gingerbread goodies out of the house).  It was ok tasting but not the gingerbread I am used too.  Not super strong gingerbread flavor and kind of soft (I like mine a little crunchier and flavorful).
 We took a little time to look at the decorations before resort hopping to check out others that we had read about displays and such.
 A quick trip on the monorail landed us at the Contemporary for the gingerbread tree in the main concourse.  The tree was very tall and they also had confections available to purchase here as well (though we passed, the shingle was quite large).
 
 From here we walked to the Magic Kingdom and hopped a bus to the Boardwalk Resort area.  I knew they had a display and a Gingerbread Carousel nearby.  There was a fairly large miniature Christmas village with lots of nods to Disney.
 And a short walk down the Boardwalk we were treated to the Carousel made of gingerbread.
 They have some very talented bakers and artists.  I get frustrated with my little house after about an hour.  I can only imagine the time and effort put forth to make such an amazing display that is only going to last just over a month and be destroyed.  After our confectionary stops (all the resorts had cute theme decorations but I could tell Luke was over it) we headed to Down Town Disney for some shopping and dinner.
 We ended up at the Rainforest Cafe Lava Lounge outside.  It was a little bit of a wait but an absolutely picture perfect evening to be eating outside.
Very excited about my 16 mile run the next morning and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment