Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Bahamas

Sunday morning we arrived in Nassau, the Bahamas.  We only had a few hours off the ship before we would spend a full day at sea.  I was excited to get off the ship after waking up still feeling nauseous.  We weren't rocking as much but I just needed some land.  Too bad our shore excursion was a clear bottom kayak adventure.  
When we arrived in ports we were told over the PA system when we could go down to the Gangway to exit the boat.  They scanned our ship card and we left.  When we returned they'd scan our ship card again (their computer had a photo of us that appeared with our scanned card for security reasons).
 There were 3 other ships in the Bahama's that day as well.  You can see them as we rode a boat to our kayaking area.
 We rode alongside Paradise Island.  Apparently a lot of wealthy people have places here.  If I remember correctly this is one of Oprah's property's (unless the guy on our little adventure was just making stuff up).  We also saw Beyonce and Jay Z's place, Michael Jordan, Chuck Norris and Tiger Woods to name a few.  The guy that owns the Atlantis also has a place there not too far from the Atlantis.
 We had fun paddling our kayak around but were disappointed about the fact we had to stay in a small area and there really weren't many things to look at through the bottom of the boat.  There was a very little part where there was some sea grass and fish.  The rest was just sand and nothingness.  Other people snorkled but we had fun just soaking up the sun and paddling around.
 When we returned from our excursion we had about an hour before we had to start heading back to the ship to make sure we were on time to depart.  We went in a few little stores and Luke ended up with a t-shirt that he liked.  Nothing was striking my fancy and the one market area we walked though bothered me since all these people were sitting in their flea market style booths trying to get you to buy their stuff.  It felt stuffy and crowded to me so I just wanted to leave.
 The cute little lighthouse on Paradise Island.  I was happy to be leaving the Bahama's and was hopeful that the remaining ports would be better (and they were).  I was feeling a little better so we went back to the ship.  The temp wasn't too bad so I decided to get my run in for the day.  Whoo-hoo for a whopping 10 miles on the deck of the ship.
 I watched as the Atlantis disappeared on the horizon little by little with each lap completed.
I know, I am on vacation and am worried about hitting my miles for the week to keep up with my marathon training.  I think I would have won an award for most miles run on the ship decks that week if they had a prize for that.  I finished the week with 42 miles.  
 That night we skipped dinner since it was a "formal" night and we didn't like the dinner menu.  We went to the Lido deck where they just had the normal buffet dinner.  I felt sick to my stomach again that night.  At this point I am thinking it is a combination of the food and the ship rocking.  It is the combination and I feel better after another day once I've gotten used to the oils and such for the foods.
 We end the day with an elephant wearing my shades.  Seriously loving the towel animals in our room each night.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't a big fan of the Bahamas when we went there for our cruise 8 years ago. Too touristy and crowded.

    ReplyDelete