Monday, October 21, 2013

Columbus Day Weekend

Over the long Columbus Day weekend I headed up to Vermont with my Momma and Papa Bear.  Of course we stopped in Albany for a little shopping and lunch at Grandma's.  It is this restaurant that goes over the top with their decorations for every holiday/season of the year.
 We arrived at my aunt Cathy's place for the night and left early the next morning to travel up to New Hampshire and check out the Kancamungus Highway (very scenic 33 miles).  The day started out gorgeous then got foggy, rained a little and cleared up again just as we reached the highway.  Once we started up the first "peak" though it got foggy again and that was basically the end of sunny and clear weather.  Still a beautiful trip.
 At the first stop on the highway we really had to go to the bathroom.  Thank you government shut down closing the national forest park bathrooms.  Ugh.  We knew there were bathrooms there and the road leading in was crowded with a craft fair so we didn't stop.  Annoying!
 Halfway through the trip and a few out of the car for scenery stops later it was time to go potty in a cup since I was going to burst.  After that it was wonderful and I was better able to enjoy the beauty of the world around me.  Above is the gorge type area. It is really deep and then drops over a small fall to another deep pool with currents/whirl pools.
 Mom and dad climbed up onto a huge rock.  Of course as we were leaving a bazillion little kids decided to scamper up the rock.  Being observant I like to read signs. Some really crack me up.
After our trip along the Kancamungus we went for a little walk back at my aunt Cathy's.  This is the sugar shack across the street from her (where the neighbor makes some maple syrup).  Believe it or not maple syrup comes from maple trees, not pine trees (despite the fact that pine trees are sticky like syrup).
 Mom, Dad and Debbie taking a walk up the hill to check out the view.
 The next day my folks adventured to the liquor store and ran a few errands while I was left at the track to run some laps (my request) so that I could do my running thing.  We left Monday morning.  If anyone can tell me why there is a barn/house on top of the silohs please let me know.  I am curious.  Thank you Vermont for keeping it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment