Friday, March 22, 2013

experimenting with the iron

While playing on pinterest to find ideas for things I could make for Jen's baby shower I came across this nursery with fabric letters on the wall (I was looking for a nice art project to make for her walls).  FYI I did find a project to make Jen but this isn't it.  I had an idea in my head (yup, that's where ideas happen) and figured this could work since I haven't been able to find anything else that will come close to what I am envisioning without a lot of artistic skills on my part.
I will say I was a little skeptical about this actually working but I figured I'd give it a try anyhow and went to the craft store.  I picked up some quilting fabric (it has to be thin/light) and some double sided fusible interfacing (like 2 sided tape for fabric).
 You iron on the interfacing, peel off the back and then iron the fabric to the wall.  I tested this out in the closet since I wouldn't notice the wall damage behind where I hang up our ironing board if it failed miserably.  So above is the heart I cut out and ironed on the wall.  But would it peel off without damaging the wall?
 It did!  I kind of had to pick a little spot quite a bit with my nails and then I could start "rolling" it off.  Easy to remove but not so easy that it is going to fall off at the slightest thing.  So excited about the project now and I will hopefully get to work on it over the weekend.  I could have probably ironed the fabric onto the wall a bit more but it stuck no problem.  I did put a washcloth over the shape so that the iron wouldn't directly touch the wall.  Here are the colors I have for my little project that is Manfriend approved :)

1 comment:

  1. Who knew you could iron things onto the wall? Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete