Monday, March 25, 2013

Craftastic Weekend Success!

I've always wanted a "Disney" room in our house and there are touches of Disney in all rooms (a stuffed animal on the chair, photo from Disney...).  I found these blue and white lamps at Christmas Tree Shoppe that inspired me to create an Up room in our peach bedroom.  At first I wasn't sure how I would accomplish making balloons on the wall how I envisioned them.  Searching for artwork to make for my sister Jen for her nursery I came across iron fabric on your walls.  So I headed to the craft store and picked up the materials.

 Fusible interfacing (iron it on and then peel the paper backing and then iron a second time to make it stick to the wall...or other fabric), fun and light weight fabric in a pattern (or patterns if you want to mix/match).  I picked up 2 rolls of fat 3/8ths fabric plus 6 yards of interfacing (I did not use all the 3/8ths).  Then I traced a balloon shaped template on my interfacing and cut them out.
I grabbed a piece of wrapping paper and taped it on the wall so that I could draw a basic outline of my balloons and get an idea how much space I wanted them to take up.  Then I set to work laying out the balloons and arranging them to look good.
They of course all slid and moved when I went to move it.  **If you plan to do this I would suggest you lay it out upside down and have an additional piece of fabric and interfacing so that you can iron all the pieces together and then iron the whole piece on the wall**
After they all slide I laid them out on the floor for a second time.  I taped them together with clear mailing tape and attempted to pick it up and tape it to the wall.  Huge failure on my part and frustrated I leave the room for an hour after yelling at Luke (who isn't even in the room).  He tells me I'll figure it out and it will be awesome.  According to him I have good ideas.  This time I laid a piece of wax paper over them and traced the shapes/colors.  There is no attempt at moving the whole thing.
Loving that it looks more like a hot air balloon now.  I then taped the wax paper to the wall and traced the basic outline on the wall as a guide.  I taped the wax paper one on the nearby wall to reference and hold up as needed to help in placement/moving of the pieces.  I move the cutouts piece by piece and tape as I go.
I used painters tape to put it on the wall.  Then came the tricky part...ironing this to the wall.  I started at the top since I knew as I ironed they would "flatten" slightly from their current state.  I held a few pieces with their tape missing and just tapped the tip of the iron to get them "stuck enough" for me to remove some more tape from a nearby piece.  This is the part that took the longest, removing the tape and ironing.  It shifted slightly in shape as this happened, but overall I am happy with it.  The difficulty of moving the tape as you go is why I suggest an extra piece of fabric and fusible interfacing so you can move it as a solid unit.  Probably not necessary if your pieces aren't "linked."
Luke decided he liked it up and down instead of at a slight angle on the wall, so that's what we have.  Here is the finished product on the wall... and you can see my Up lamps that inspired this whole project.  Still deciding on if and how I want to do the strings for the balloons.

2 comments: